OT: fixing c++ with epochs

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Thu Aug 8 13:37:34 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 8 August 2019 at 11:55:16 UTC, victoroak wrote:
> https://vittorioromeo.info/index/blog/fixing_cpp_with_epochs.html
>
> I follow this forum for some time and I saw some discussions
> about breaking changes and I thought this would be an
> interesting read.
>
> I think D is too afraid of breaking changes so maybe this could
> be a way to do it safely.

If I understood correctly, the idea is that any file can select
what version of the language they use? Sounds good IMO, I have
also thought that it would be cool if I could define -preview and
-revert switches at module level. For library features, something
like what Martin Odersky[1] described at DConf2018 might be a
good base for a DIP.

The problem is defining how this feature would work with
templates that are defined in different contexts, without runtime
slowdown. We cannot simply reinstantiate templates for each
version of the language/library, as that would lead to horrible
bloat.

And another problem, who would be determined and skilled enough
to push through a DIP for such a feature? It won't be the easiest
one.

1: https://dconf.org/2018/talks/odersky.html