Building C++ modules

Dukc ajieskola at gmail.com
Fri Aug 9 09:22:12 UTC 2019

On Friday, 9 August 2019 at 08:37:25 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
> The other difference is that despite having modules, C++20
> still has the equivalent of module headers and module
> implementations.

Don't we have those too? .hd files.

> Fast is relative, and it's death by a thousand cuts for me at
> the moment. And this despite the fact that I use reggae as much
> as I can, which means I wait less than most other D programmers
> on average to get a compiled binary!

I remember that you did blog that 1.5 seconds compile time or
something like that is already frustatingly long for you.

What do you think if the effect of compile time there, to
programmer? I had to use Dub with a --combined build back at
Windows, and while it sure was a lot slower than a bare D
compiler, it was still faster than the main part of my project
written in C#. Even then, I found the compile time (haven't
measured, but probably like 20 seconds for debug build if both D
and C# files were changed) only mildly annoying. So I'm
interested, are virtually-instant compiles something one has to
experience to understand their benefit?