Subject

bachmeier no at spam.net
Fri Aug 9 19:46:40 UTC 2019

On Friday, 9 August 2019 at 18:50:19 UTC, Exil wrote:
> On Thursday, 8 August 2019 at 15:17:07 UTC, Ethan wrote:
>> On Thursday, 8 August 2019 at 13:14:45 UTC, Exil wrote:
>>> See "data" means showing the actual statistics when you say
>>> "then ZTC++ appeared then C++ boomed", this means nothing
>>> without the data to back it up. It means even less when
>>> coming from someone with a clear bias.
>>
>> Surely you know how to use Google. Walter's given every bit of
>> information you need and place to look at to verify his claims
>> for yourself.
>>
>> You know what's cheaper than research? Abject cynicism.
>>
>> Stop it.
>
> I'm not the one making claims here. He made claims, I'm merely
> asking him to back them up, or they're just meaningless lies.

Please reserve this kind of stuff for slashdot. He told the story
the way he recalls it, and he owes you nothing. If you're going
to call him a liar, you need to provide evidence to back up your
claim.

Here's Bjarne Stroustrup's version: "Until June 1988 all C++
compiler on PCs were Cfront ports. Then Zortech started shipping
their compiler. The appearance of Walter Bright’s compiler made
C++ ‘‘real’’ for many PC−oriented people for the first time. More
conservative people reserved their judgement until the Borland
C++ compiler in May 1990 or even Microsoft’s C++ compiler in
March 1992."