sudo apt-get install dmd

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Aug 10 08:32:05 UTC 2019

On Fri, 2019-08-09 at 16:58 +0000, BoQsc via Digitalmars-d wrote:

[…]
> I'd prefer having D language compiler included into next releases
> of Linux distributions.
> I'm worried that https://d-apt.sourceforge.io/ repository's
> package nor D language compiler's license is compatible to be
> included and even preinstalled in Distributions such as Ubuntu.

Clearly it would be better if dmd, dcd, dfmt, dfix, dscanner, dub etc. were
all in the standard Debian repository along with ldc, gdc, gtkd, gstreamerd,
tilix, etc.

Now that DMD licence has changed, it is almost certainly eligible to be in the
Debian repository. Then D-Apt could retire.

It is all down to someone volunteering to do the work. The people on the
Debian D Language Group <team+d-team at tracker.debian.org> will have to do the
final upload, but that doesn't stop others preparing the ground for them.

Without volunteers doing stuff, nothing in Debian changes.

[…]
> ldc compiler is a way different bundle, it does not contain RDMD
> nor DUB?

True, but it is already in the Debian repository suitable for installation.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200