sudo apt-get install dmd

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Sat Aug 10 13:24:04 UTC 2019

On Sat, 2019-08-10 at 09:32 +0000, Andre Pany via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]

> With a recent addition to Dub you can just call "dub -run
> dscanner" and it will be retrieved/compiled/started.
> Of course adding a command "dub install" which makes the
> applications available in PATH would be the deluxe solution.
>
> What I want to say, I see no benefit to add dub packages like
> dscanner, dfmt, ... to OS package repositories if they can be
> easily installed with dub.

Nothing wrong with choosing not to OS packages for these things, but not
having the choice is a problem. Manual installation mean manual updating,
package-based installation means automated updating. Also package-based
installation guarantees the tools will work with the other packages for the
OS, manual installation does not make this promise.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200