sudo apt-get install dmd

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Sun Aug 11 12:41:04 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 11 August 2019 at 11:40:18 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Is it clear that either Snap or Flatpak are as efficient as
> native packages in terms of space requirements, download time,
> install time.

As a point of comparison, the ldc2 snap package is about 70 MB on
disk.  The deb packages covering equivalent functionality would
be:

   * ldc (14.2 MB)
   * libllvm5.0 (13.7 MB)
   * libphobos2-ldc-shared78 (8 MB)
   * libphobos2-ldc-shared-dev (56.7 MB)

... so if anything the snap package takes up slightly less space
(with a difference being that of course the LLVM components it
incorporates are for its own use only, not a shared library
usable by the rest of the system).

Probably the major differentiator here is that snap packages use
squashfs for storage, so the "true" size of the package is larger
than the actual disk usage.  I think uncompressed the snap
package would be about 290 MB, most of which is the compiler
itself (66 MB) plus libraries (52 MB for 32-bit, 145 MB for
64-bit).

Bear in mind that the snap package includes both 32- and 64-bit
libs, in versions with and without debug symbols, whereas the deb
packages only include 64-bit.  The snap package also includes LTO
support (which accounts for about 45 MB of the total uncompressed
lib size).

Bottom line, the snap package gives you a greater amount of
functionality while using a smaller amount of actual disk space
(thanks to squashfs).  And if we looked carefully at what is
being included, it might be possible to reduce the size further.