[SAoC] New proposal: solve dependency hell for dub

Seb seb at wilzba.ch
Mon Aug 12 11:20:53 UTC 2019

On Monday, 12 August 2019 at 10:34:40 UTC, Joseph Rushton
Wakeling wrote:
> On Saturday, 10 August 2019 at 17:43:06 UTC, Seb wrote:
>> https://github.com/dlang/projects/issues/51
>>
>> tl;dr:
>> - I just proposed a  SAoC project that might be of interest to
>> people interested in the SAoC
>> - The project is about allowing multiple versions of a
>> dependency in your dub project
>> - It is vital for many projects (in particular: moving Phobos
>> to Dub)
>
> It may be a good idea to make sure that issues related to
> single-version dependencies are fixed first, e.g.
> <https://github.com/dlang/dub/issues/1732>, otherwise we risk a
> situation where multi-version dependencies are created
> unnecessarily.
>
> BTW, why is this considered _vital_ for moving phobos to DUB?
> I am not really convinced that Rust's approach is a solution --
> it feels more like a dirty workaround that will have plenty of
> pain points of its own.

This was my personal opinion. The project description contains a
general problem description.

Anyhow, you need to maintain compatibility with people using the
current version. If we ever want to convert the standard library
into a dub project, current code _must_ contain to work.

Sure, you can do 'import std2' etc, but I don't think this scales
well and at least I don't want to write 'import std3_23'.

Also, as far as I am aware the Rust solution has been extremely
successful for them and a vital part of their flourishing
ecosystem. I'm open to better solutions though ;-)