sudo apt-get install dmd

Joseph Rushton Wakeling joseph.wakeling at webdrake.net
Mon Aug 12 12:19:02 UTC 2019

On Monday, 12 August 2019 at 11:53:14 UTC, Russel Winder wrote:
> Whilst the Debian package is 1.12.0, and the snap is 1.14.0,
> both are fairly old. I guess the Debian freeze stopped upgrade
> in Debian Sid, and I guess it requiring volunteers is stopping
> both the Debian package and the snap being updated.

I'm the maintainer of the snap package, and I'm afraid the
outdatedness is entirely my fault (the day job is very busy right
now, and I've got behind).  But you can already install 1.16.0 by
using the 'edge' channel (for the latest packages):

     sudo snap install --classic --edge ldc2

The main reason for lack of progress here is not creating a
package for the new version, but making sure it gets at least
minimal tests across the range of different install targets.

In any case I'm happy to hear that the snaps might be useful for
you.  I'll try to put some time this weekend to testing to make
sure I can get the 1.16.0 release out soon (and 1.17.0 as soon as
that is released).

There are also snap packages for dmd and dub (which I also
maintain), and a number of other tools (including dscanner, dfmt,
and drepl) which are maintained by Ernesto Castellotti.