Fix Phobos dependencies on autodecoding

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Tue Aug 13 07:08:03 UTC 2019

We don't yet have a good plan on how to remove autodecoding and yet provide
backward compatibility with autodecoding-reliant projects, but one thing we can
do is make Phobos work properly with and without autodecoding.

To that end, I created a build of Phobos that disables autodecoding:

https://github.com/dlang/phobos/pull/7130

Of course, it fails. If people want impactful things to work on, fixing each
failure is worthwhile (each in separate PRs).

Note that this is neither trivial nor mindless code editing. Each case has to be
examined as to why it is doing autodecoding, is autodecoding necessary, and
deciding to replace it with byChar, byDchar, or simply hardcoding the decoding
logic.