Fix Phobos dependencies on autodecoding

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Aug 13 18:01:42 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 11:43:19 AM MDT Gregor Mückl via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Tuesday, 13 August 2019 at 16:58:38 UTC, Jonathan M Davis
>
> wrote:
> > On Tuesday, August 13, 2019 10:51:57 AM MDT jmh530 via
> >
> > Digitalmars-d wrote:

> >> I'm still confused...
> >>
> >> What I was first confused about was that the second line of
> >> the expected output looks exactly the same as the second line
> >> of the actual output. However, you seemed to have indicated
> >> that is a problem. From your follow-up post, I'm still
> >> confused because the accent seems to be on the "e" on both of
> >> them. Isn't that where it's supposed to be?
> >
> > It's not on the e in both of them. It's on the e on the second
> > line of the "expected" output, but it's on the T in the second
> > line of the "actual" output.
> >
> > - Jonathan M Davis
>
> We must be seeing different things then. I've taken a screenshot
> of how the post looks to me:
>
> http://www.gregor-mueckl.de/~gmueckl/unicode_confusion.png

I suspect that some clients are not handling the text correctly (probably
due to bugs in their Unicode handling). If I view this thread on
forum.dlang.org in firefox, then the text ends up with the accent on the T
in the code with it being on the B in the expected output and on the e in
the actual output. If I view it in chrome, the code has it on the e, the
expected output has it on the e, and the actual output has it on the T -
which is exactly what happens in my e-mail client. If I run the program on
run.dlang.io in either firefox or chrome, it does the same thing as chrome
and my e-mail client do with the forum post, putting the accent on the e in
the code and putting it on the T in the output. The same thing happens when
I run it locally in my console on FreeBSD. In no case do I see the accent on
the e in the actual output, but it probably wouldn't be hard for a bug in a
program's Unicode handling to put it on the e. Unicode is stupidly hard to
process correctly, and the correct output of this program isn't something
that you would normally see in real text.

- Jonathan M Davis