Cryptic bug for DMD v2.087.x

Peter Jacobs peterj at mech.uq.edu.au
Wed Aug 14 12:47:37 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 14 August 2019 at 12:05:43 UTC, Vladimir Panteleev
wrote:

> FYI, the reason why you can't grep for "Illegal Instruction"
> (or "Segmentation fault" or other such error messages), is
> because that is printed by the shell running your test shell
> script, i.e. it happens "above" the grep command. (Specifically
> it prints this message as a result of the process being killed
> by SIGILL / SIGSEGV etc.)

Not quite the issue. I was trying (unsuccessfully) to grep for
"tym = x14", as suggested by Seb.  That should have been sent
through to grep but it seems not.  The compiler should not be
trying to execute an illegal instruction, anyway, so that seems
to be a good target for dustmite's experiments.

While dustmite is currently chipping away, and given the correct
link by Matheus, I am watching your 2014 DConf presentation.
Excellent work!

Cheers,
Peter J.