Building C++ modules

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Thu Aug 15 15:00:43 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 at 00:45:06 UTC, matheus wrote:
> On Friday, 9 August 2019 at 13:17:02 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>> From experience, it makes me work much slower if I don't get
>> results in less than 100ms. If I'm not mistaken, IBM did a
>> study on this that I read once but never managed to find again
>> about how much faster people worked on short feedback cycles.
>
> This is bit an exaggeration right?

No, no exaggeration.

> We're talking about the speed of a human blink.

Apparently blinks are slower than that (I just googled). It
doesn't matter though, since it has an effect. As I mentioned
before, latencies over 10ms on an audio interface are noticeable
by musicians when they play live through effects, and that's an
order of magnitude removed.

> I can't see a great difference between 1 sec vs 100 ms "while
> working".

I can. It makes me want to punch the wall.

> Of course someone could say if you did 10 consecutive
> compilations, then 10 x 100ms = 1 sec while in the other case
> would be 10 seconds, but this is extreme, you usually take a
> time change code and compile.

No, it's not that. It's that it interrupts my train of thought. I
can work faster if I get faster feedback.

> But overall I couldn't be bothered at all.
>
> Now imagine waiting ~40 seconds just to open any solution on
> Visual Studio (Mostly used for projects where I work), on a NOT
> so old machine, and like 4 ~ 10 seconds every time you run an
> app while debugging.
>
> That's is the meaning of pain.

I can take waiting 40s once a day. I can't take waiting >1s every
time I build though.