Fix Phobos dependencies on autodecoding

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Thu Aug 15 22:56:08 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 03:21:32PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 8/15/2019 2:38 PM, ag0aep6g wrote:
> > On 15.08.19 21:54, Walter Bright wrote:
> > > Unicode also fouled up by adding semantic information that is
> > > invisible to the rendering. It should have stuck with the
> > > Unicode<=>print round-trip not losing information.
> > >
> > > Naturally, people have already used such to trick people, track
> > > people, etc.
> >
> > 'I' and 'l' are (virtually) identical in many fonts.
>
> That's a problem with some fonts, not the concept. When such fonts are
> used, the distinguishment comes from the context, not the symbol
> itself.
[...]

And there you go: you're basically saying that "symbol" is different
from "glyph", and therefore, you're contradicting your own axiom that
character == glyph.  "Symbol" is basically an abstract notion of a
character that exists *apart from the glyph used to render it*.

And now that you agree that character encoding should be based on
"symbol" rather than "glyph", the next step is the realization that, in
the wide world of international languages out there, there exist
multiple "symbols" that are rendered with the *same* glyph.  This is a
hard fact of reality, and no matter how you wish it to be otherwise, it
simply ain't so.  Your ideal of "character == glyph" simply doesn't
work in real life.

There's light at the end of the tunnel. It's the oncoming train.