Building C++ modules

Atila Neves atila.neves at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 09:20:58 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 15 August 2019 at 18:53:53 UTC, Exil wrote:
> On Thursday, 15 August 2019 at 15:00:43 UTC, Atila Neves wrote:
>>>
>>> This is bit an exaggeration right?
>>
>> No, no exaggeration.
>
> Don't know any compiler that's that fast, definitely not D and
> not even Jai.

dmd compiles "hello world" in 50ms on my system. Then I tried it
on a file with 1000 functions that add two integers. 50ms again.
The problem, of course, is that any real D code I write is mostly
templates and CTFE. Then there's the unittest/phobos issue with
templates.

> The difference is noticable but really not to that point. What
> do you do when you have to wait 30 mins?

Be 1000 times less productive.

> I guess some people are just less trigger happy and patient
> than others.

I guess so.

> Wouldn't compiler errors do the same.thing, if not worse? Not
> only do they interrupt your train of thought they require you
> to think about something else entirely. What do you do when you
> get a compiler error?

Not sure. I think it's a combination of not getting them that
often and getting them early in the editor before I've actually
finished typing that means they don't bother me nearly as much.

> Feel like you don't have to wait. You can continue to do other
> things while it is compiling. I suppose some people aren't as
> good at multi tasking.

Nobody is good at multi tasking (there are studies). A lot of
people are really good at believing they are, though. CPUs have
nothing on the brain when it comes to context switching.