Fix Phobos dependencies on autodecoding

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Fri Aug 16 09:34:21 UTC 2019

On 8/16/2019 2:20 AM, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> Sorry, no it didn't work in reality before Unicode. Multi language system were a
> mess.

I have several older books that move facilely between multiple languages. It's
not a mess.

Since the reader can figure all this out without invisible semantic information
in the glyphs, that invisible information is not necessary.

Once you print/display the Unicode string, all that semantic information is
gone. It is not needed.

> Unicode works much, much better than anything that existed before. The issue is
> that not a lot of people work in a multi-language environment and don't have a
> clue of the unholy mess it was before.

Actually, I do. Zortech C++ supported multiple code pages, multiple multibyte
encodings, and had error messages in 4 languages.

Unicode, in its original vision, solved those problems.