Fix Phobos dependencies on autodecoding

Abdulhaq alynch4047 at gmail.com
Fri Aug 16 16:41:01 UTC 2019

On Friday, 16 August 2019 at 10:32:06 UTC, Patrick Schluter wrote:
> On Friday, 16 August 2019 at 09:34:21 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
>> [...]
>
> Unicode's purpose is not limited to the output at the end the
> processing chain. It's the whole processing chain that is the
> point.
>
>> [...]
>
> As said, printing is only a minor part of language processing.
> To give an example from the EU again, and just to illustrate,
> we have exactly three laser printer (one is a photocopier) on
> each floor of our offices. You may say; o you're the IT guys,
> you don't need to print that much, to which I respond, half of
> the floor is populated with the english translation unit and
> while they indeed use the printers more than us, it is not a
> significant part of their workflow.
>
>> [...]
>
> Each string was in its own language. We have to deal with texts
> that are mixed languages. Sentences in Bulgarian with an office
> address in Greece, embedded in a xml file. Codepages don't work
> in that case, or you have to introduce an escaping scheme much
> more brittle and annoying than utf-8 or utf-16 encoding.
> European Parliament's session logs are what is called panaché
> documents, i.e. the transcripts are in native language of
> intervening MEP's. So completely mixed documents.
>
>> [...]
>
> Unicode is not perfect and indeed the crap with emoji is crap,
> but Unicode is better than what was used before.
> And to insist again, Unicode is mostly about "DATA PROCESSING".
> Sometime it might result to a human readable result, but that
> is only one part of its purpose.

These are great examples and I totally agree with you (and HS
Teoh). It's no coincidence that those people who can read, write
and speak more than one language with more than one script are
those who think Unicode is beneficial. It seems that those who
are stuck in the world of anglo/latin characters just don't have
the experience required to understand why their simpler schemes
won't work.