Fix Phobos dependencies on autodecoding

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Aug 16 17:01:57 UTC 2019

On Thu, Aug 15, 2019 at 11:29:50PM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On 8/15/2019 3:16 PM, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > Please explain how you solve this problem.
>
> The same way printers solved the problem for the last 500 years.

Please elaborate.  Because you appear to be saying that Unicode should
encode the specific glyph, i.e., every font will have unique encodings
for its glyphs, because every unique glyph corresponds to a unique
encoding.  This is patently absurd, since your string encoding becomes
dependent on font selection.

How do you reconcile these two things:

(1) The encoding of a character should not be font-dependent. I.e., it
    should encode the abstract "symbol" rather than the physical
    rendering of said symbol.

(2) In the real world, there exist different symbols that share the same
    glyph shape.

Customer support: the art of getting your clients to pay for your own incompetence.