Fix Phobos dependencies on autodecoding

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Fri Aug 16 17:52:04 UTC 2019

On Fri, Aug 16, 2019 at 02:34:21AM -0700, Walter Bright via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[...]
> Once you print/display the Unicode string, all that semantic
> information is gone. It is not needed.
[...]

So in other words, we should encode 1, I, |, and l with exactly the same
value, because in print, they aII look about the same anyway, and the
user is well able to figure out from context which one is meant. After
a11, once you print the string the semantic distinction is gone anyway,
and human beings are very good at te||ing what was actually intended in
spite of the ambiguity.

Bye-bye unambiguous D lexer, we hardly knew you; now we need to rewrite
you with a context-sensitive algorithm that figures out whether we meant
11, ||, II, or ll in our source code encoded in Walter Encoding.

Debugging is twice as hard as writing the code in the first place. Therefore, if you write the code as cleverly as possible, you are, by definition, not smart enough to debug it. -- Brian W. Kernighan