Fix Phobos dependencies on autodecoding

Gregor Mückl gregormueckl at gmx.de
Sat Aug 17 00:42:48 UTC 2019

On Friday, 16 August 2019 at 21:05:44 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/16/2019 9:32 AM, xenon325 wrote:
>> On Thursday, 15 August 2019 at 22:23:13 UTC, Walter Bright
>> wrote:
>>> And yet somehow people manage to read printed material
>>> without all these problems.
>>
>> If same glyphs had same codes, what will you do with these:
>>
>> 1) Sort string.
>>
>> In my phone's contact lists there are entries in russian, in
>> english and mixed.
>> Now they are sorted as:
>> A (latin), B (latin), C, А (ru), Б, В (ru).
>> Wich is pretty easy to search/navigate.
>
> Except that there's no guarantee that whoever entered the data
> used the right code point.

Depends. On smartphones, switching the keyboard language is easy
(just a swipe on Android), so users that are regularly
multilingual should be fine there. Windows also offers keyboard
layout switching on the fly with an awkward keyboard shortcut,
but it is pretty well hidden. So again, users that are
multilingual in their daily routines should really be fine.

But taking a step back and trying to take a bird's eye view on
this discussion, it becomes clear to me that the argument could
be solved if there was a clear separation of text representations
for processing (sorting, spell checking, whatever other NLP you
can think of) and a completely seperate one for display. The
transformation to the later would naturally be lossy and not
perfectly reversible. The funny thing about that part is that
text rendering with OpenType fonts is *already* doing exactly
this transformation to derive the font specific glyph indices
from the text. But all the bells and whistles in Unicode blur
this boundary way too much. And this is what we are getting hung
up over, I think.

Man, we really managed to go off track in this thread, didn't we?
;)