DMD or LDC on mobile

Iain Buclaw ibuclaw at gdcproject.org
Tue Aug 20 19:09:50 UTC 2019

On Tue, 20 Aug 2019 at 20:18, Manu via Digitalmars-d
<digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:

> On Tue, Aug 20, 2019 at 2:40 AM Jacob Carlborg via Digitalmars-d
> <digitalmars-d at puremagic.com> wrote:
> >
> > On 2019-08-20 02:38, Manu wrote:
> >
> > > If there's a path to finance 1st class D support on mobile, I'll
> > > contribute substantially.
> > > I would he happy to do a classic thing like, for every donation to
> > > that effort, I will contribute an additional 50%...
> > >
> > > I don't know anybody who could work on this as a serious project who
> > > is motivated by money though... we probably need $3-5k at least to
> > > make someone interested.
> > > LDC needs to have official iOS/Android build distributions with unit
> > > tests passing... how do we get there?
> >
> > I do have some interest in this, but not enough to do on my spare time.
> > Might be possible if I could get enough money and take some time off
> > from work.
>
> What kind of budget is motivating?
>
> I think the community needs nothing less than:
> Android/iOS have builds alongside each LDC release, passing CI, and a
> getting-started guide showing how to get to work on those platforms.
> It can't be a question what shape those toolchains are in. They need
> to be reliably available.
>
> I don't know the scope of this task, who knows where each toolchain is
> at? Can anyone itemise the work here?

- Druntime.
- Phobos.
- Possibly a little help from the compiler with module support,
(possibly emulated) tls, and adding ranges for GC scanning.

I've been testing/developing gdc pretty much solely off my (Android)
phone since the start of this year, and though I haven't committed
anything to trunk yet, shared library work on OSX is pretty much
feature complete - though don't ask me how I got gcc-9 working on OSX,
I still have no idea myself, as the last supported version of gcc
(4.2) can't build a working compiler from any of the recent releases,
and druntime's core.cpuid uses opcodes that are unsupported by the
default version of Xcode that came with the box. :-P

As for the toolchain though, both Apple and Google have abandoned gcc
in these respective toolchains, shame on them really.

--
Iain