DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Final Review

Mike Franklin slavo5150 at yahoo.com
Fri Aug 23 12:41:40 UTC 2019

On Friday, 23 August 2019 at 10:54:11 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:

> The current revision of the DIP for this review is located here:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/3bc3469a841b87517a610f696689c8771e74d9e5/DIPs/DIP1019.md

====
"Named arguments proposed by this DIP have no effect on the
ordering of arguments in function calls."

"Named arguments proposed by this DIP do not allow default
parameters to be skipped."

"Variadic arguments can be labeled with the name of the variadic
parameter and a subscript."

For each of those statements quoted above, I think it would help
the DIP to present an example with code and potential compiler
output.

====
"If a function is defined with some of its parameter names
omitted, arguments to those parameters can be labeled with an
empty name."

---
void fun(int);

fun(:10);
---

That seems weird to me.  Why even allow the ":10" syntax?  I
recommend adding some justification to the DIP.

Mike