DIP 1019--Named Arguments Lite--Final Review

Andrei Alexandrescu SeeWebsiteForEmail at erdani.org
Sat Aug 24 16:36:51 UTC 2019

On 8/23/19 6:23 PM, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/23/2019 3:54 AM, Mike Parker wrote:
>> DIP 1019, "Named Arguments Lite", is now ready for Final Review. This
>> is the last chance for community feedback before the DIP is handed off
>> to Walter and Átila for the Formal Assessment.
>

> I reiterate my previous opinion:
>
> https://digitalmars.com/d/archives/digitalmars/D/DIP_1019--Named_Arguments_Lite--Community_Review_Round_2_327714.html#N327755

We have two competing proposals for named arguments. Walter's
alternative has been consistently ignored, though I notice Walter
mentioned it more than once. That would be totally fine if the proposals
were better, but it doesn't take much to figure Walter's is obviously
way better, simpler, and integrates beautifully within the existing
language.

This entire dynamics strikes me as massively counterproductive. Why are
we doing this?