Talk on what a systems programming language needs to replace C

Dibyendu Majumdar mobile at majumdar.org.uk
Mon Aug 26 09:30:30 UTC 2019

On Monday, 26 August 2019 at 06:51:33 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Sunday, 25 August 2019 at 10:06:07 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
> wrote:
>> https://youtu.be/l9hM0h6IQDo
>

> The entire talk is about evangelizing Rust contrary to what he
> says. He also says he constantly have to add more stuff into
> the language in order to make work better as a systems
> programming language which kind of contradicts the idea that
> Rust is suitable for system programming.

I ignored the evangelizing bits.

What I took from the talk is that there are two things:

a) The compelling feature is the Rust automatic memory management
/memory safety without GC and runtime - that can motivate systems
programmers to move from C.

b) Parity with C - this is where Rust lacks and needs
enhancements.

Comparing with D, perhaps D excels at b) but lacks a compelling
memory management solution that would motivate systems
programmers.

Regards