Talk on what a systems programming language needs to replace C

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Aug 26 16:24:30 UTC 2019

On Monday, 26 August 2019 at 14:12:37 UTC, Dibyendu Majumdar
wrote:
> On Monday, 26 August 2019 at 12:31:23 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>

>> One thing that everyone seems to be missing from this talk,
>> lost in the usual D vs Rust argumentations, is that the
>> speaker has a responsability position at Intel, and it also
>> relates to Intel's adoption of Rust.
>
> The reason I highlighted this talk was because of who/which
> organization it came from. Josh is also a Kernel hacker if I am
> not mistaken.
>
> Regarding your argument that Go is a systems language - I guess
> Google using it doesn't count, but Go is used for writing
> databases etc. But not sure you could use Go everywhere that C
> can be used. Go has a built-in scheduler, and GC etc.

Regarding Go as systems language, here is some literature, from
one of its influences

http://www.projectoberon.com

http://www.ocp.inf.ethz.ch/wiki/Documentation/Front

And related hardware,

https://pcper.com/tag/oberonstation/

And a surviving vendor,

https://www.astrobe.com

I can also cite a multitude of other languages.

In fact, D also has a built-in scheduler and GC.

As you might imagine, I belong to the crowd that would rather see
a better GC (thanks very much for all improvements by the way),
than betterC or trying to copy Rust, just because it is getting
all the love by the FAANG.