Talk on what a systems programming language needs to replace C

Chris wendlec at tcd.ie
Tue Aug 27 08:41:20 UTC 2019

On Monday, 26 August 2019 at 21:48:45 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Monday, 26 August 2019 at 16:24:30 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>

> There is a lot of Rust click bait in this forum and some "look
> Rust can do this and that, we must have it too". I think that D
> should follow its own path and should not trying to ape Rust in
> every fashion.

I know, it's annoying. But a while ago it was Go and before that
C++ (among other things). Every few years (or even every year) D
is chasing after a new "must have" feature. And usually it's
done, before one could possibly know if feature X will work for
Go or Rust. I'd say relax a little bit and do your own thing, and
maybe later you can see what features you could incorporate
(that's what C++ does, I think). This "must have" mentality does
a lot of damage to D, old bugs and shortcomings are neglected,
there are new half-baked features, an outsider only sees a mess
and insiders think "Ah, WTF!" fearing their code might break,
because D now has to work with feature X. D will never learn.