Talk on what a systems programming language needs to replace C

IGotD- nise at nise.com
Tue Aug 27 10:09:55 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 27 August 2019 at 08:08:34 UTC, Walter Bright wrote:
> On 8/26/2019 4:00 AM, IGotD- wrote:
>> The speaker is right about one thing and that is that a
>> systems programming language must not have a runtime
>> dependency, or the runtime is completely OS independent. With
>> this definition this includes C, C++, D (-betterC only) and
>> Rust. As far as I know Go is runtime dependent and does not
>> qualify for this definition.
>
> C++ requires a runtime library that supports exception
> handling. DasBetterC does not need anything that C doesn't have.

That's why you always disable exceptions as well as RTTI in
embedded C++ programming and the runtime dependency is gone. It's
a bit of shame because exception could be useful there as well.

The problem with exceptions is that it allocates dynamic memory
which makes it unusable for some use cases (fragmentation, time,
locking). However, this proposal from Herb Sutter

http://www.open-std.org/jtc1/sc22/wg21/docs/papers/2018/p0709r0.pdf

is highly interesting from that point of view. Do you think this
proposal would fit D?