Talk on what a systems programming language needs to replace C

Russel Winder russel at winder.org.uk
Tue Aug 27 17:04:40 UTC 2019

On Tue, 2019-08-27 at 16:07 +0000, Paulo Pinto via Digitalmars-d wrote:
[…]

> The portable Assembly myth of C is long gone in the age of
> multi-core, pipelined, out-of-order execution units, with NUMA,
> vector units and GPGPUs.

There is the truth and there is the perception by the masses, which may be the
same, but all too often are at odds.

My excuse is that I used C on PDP-11 and VAX-11, and then when new processors
came along I moved on to other programming languages.

It is most interesting that imperative programming languages are inconsistent
with modern processors, and yet everyone still thinks sequence is a valuable
concept of a program.

--
Russel.
Dr Russel Winder      t: +44 20 7585 2200