Proposal: __traits(getComment, symbol)

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 08:51:24 UTC 2019

I propose a way to get the comment on a symbol at compile time. I
believe this was already rejected, though I don't know why; I'd
expect it to be something like "code should not change behavior
due to a comment." I think that now that we have user-defined
annotations there is a much lower risk of that.

Why do I want this? Generating special documentation/annotated
interfaces from D code is a *lot* easier if you can get the
compiler to do your introspection work for you. I want to
generate Swagger files documenting our REST services, and I want
to use D comments to document them. Right now, I will have to do
a weird hybrid dance where I generate the D type graph on the D
side with compiletime introspection, output it to a file,
simultaneously generate the Ddoc JSON file with -D -X to fish out
the comments, then fuse the two together. There is no need for
this, but for the absence of __traits(getComment).