Proposal: __traits(getComment, symbol)

Steven Schveighoffer schveiguy at gmail.com
Wed Aug 28 22:07:28 UTC 2019

On 8/28/19 5:44 AM, Mike Franklin wrote:
> I once gave a talk at DConf explaining how I copy and pasted register
> table from a datasheet into an application, and had it spit out D code.
> I later ported the code to D
> (https://github.com/JinShil/stm32_datasheet_to_d).  With your proposal,
> I could just paste the text from the datasheet into my DDoc comment and
> have D generate the code for me.  Chuckle, Chuckle.

Ahem, I didn't get to it (thanks, fire drill), but your presentation
(which is still one of my favorites), was actually referenced in my
presentation "extras" ;)

Start at page 63: http://dconf.org/2019/talks/schveighoffer.pdf

> Now think what people more "creative" than I could come up with. :-)
>
> I'm not sure if it would be good practice.

I think the idea of using an actual spec to write your register code is
insanely useful, even if it takes hours to compile ;) It can't be worse
than hours spent realizing you misread something in the spec.

-Steve