Proposal: __traits(getComment, symbol)

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Fri Aug 30 05:41:12 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, August 28, 2019 4:18:28 PM MDT Max Haughton via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 28 August 2019 at 17:35:56 UTC, Manu wrote:
> > As a development workflow feature, having compiler access to
> > symbol comments would be very useful in many cases.
>
> Speaking of which, has anyone tried/discussed giving access to a
> frozen version of the AST through (say) __traits(getAST, symbol)?
> I'd try it myself but I haven't spent the time learning how dmd
> works.

Walter has made it quite clear that he has no interest in exposing the AST
to the program or in having something like AST macros in the language. It's
come up time and time again, and it's always rejected.

- Jonathan M Davis