DIP 1021--Argument Ownership and Function Calls--Community Review Round 1

nkm1 t4nk074 at openmailbox.org
Sat Aug 31 08:19:55 UTC 2019

On Monday, 15 July 2019 at 15:23:32 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
> Review for DIP 1021, "Argument Ownership and Function Calls":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/793f83911fdc8c88c6ef34e6a36b5e11e3e574e5/DIPs/DIP1021.md

The problem with this DIP is that it's just a small part of some
bigger thing, and it looks like no one understands this bigger
thing except maybe Walter. It also seems that some people don't
believe that Walter actually knows what the end result will be.
Maybe he's just making it up as he goes along?
Anyway, all of this confirms my opinion - D is a language
supposed to work with GC, and all these contortions are just
trying to fit a square peg into a round hole.
Just use Rust instead.