How do people feel about putting source compiler directives inside rdmd?

aliak something at something.com
Tue Dec 3 07:55:45 UTC 2019

On Monday, 2 December 2019 at 21:43:17 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
> On Monday, 2 December 2019 at 20:04:17 UTC, aliak wrote:
>
>> Dub is painfully slow for scripting
>
> Dub is painful for everything else so I'm not surprised to hear
> it's painful for scripting.
>
>> if you require a makefile whenever someone wants to write a
>> script then python it is.
>
> If that's all it takes for someone to use Python, they'll be
> using Python regardless. I can understand the idea of rdmd if
> you can use it without configuration. If you're going to add
> compiler configuration information to your "script", you no
> longer have a script, you have something really confusing for
> Python users.

This is not true. I'd rather use D for scripting, but not if it
requires the user to deal with make files - that's just compiling
then. Your other point is also untrue, node had a 'use strict'
interpreter directive for a long time, which people used
willingly because it made the script code better. For the script
user there was no difference (they just use the script, they
don't care if it uses dip1000 or not).