Prototype of Ownership/Borrowing System for D

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 08:31:59 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 07:14:23 UTC, rikki cattermole
wrote:
> Lifetime's are a bit over my head.
> In my code example I hand waved a bunch of details related to
> it.

I found this master thesis on adding lifetimes to Whiley very
readable, explained in english and not a lot of formalisms:

http://homepages.ecs.vuw.ac.nz/~djp/files/MSCThesisSebastian.pdf

The difference between this and Rust seems to be that: 1. Rust
now ends the lifetime at last use and not at the end of the
scope. 2. Rust infers the lifetime variables when they have not
been explicitly given, but that is a minor difference.

> But basically its a head const reference tied to the lifetime
> of the owning memory e.g. a data structure. That guarantees no
> pointer modification at any point in time.

Hm, I think I would need a more elaborate description to
understand what it can express.

> They do and the project is meant to be released in a couple of
> weeks.
> Right now they don't have a compiler, so yeah... Lots of theory
> wishy washy atm.

So it was a christmas-teaser... :-) We will have to wait and see
then, I guess.