How do people feel about putting source compiler directives inside rdmd?

aliak something at something.com
Tue Dec 3 13:07:04 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 09:10:16 UTC, Petar Kirov
[ZombineDev] wrote:
> On Monday, 2 December 2019 at 21:43:17 UTC, bachmeier wrote:
>> On Monday, 2 December 2019 at 20:04:17 UTC, aliak wrote:
>>
>>> Dub is painfully slow for scripting
>
> On the contrary, I think it's great for what it offers.
> I just made a quick test and it contributed to to 0.3sec slow
> down, compared to `dmd -run` of minimal D script (0.21sec vs
> 0.51sec). I think that could be improved, but still it's a
> small price to given its feature set. There's no alternative
> tool for D that empowers single-file scripts to use third-party
> libraries with zero fiddling with import paths, dependency
> downloading, build order, linking and so on.

The script I run takes over a second each invocation (when doing
nothing). With rdmd that happens once and then it uses the same
binary (and is instant).

Do you know if dub caches the binary? If it does then it's just
dependency checking. And if that can be turned off then I believe
the experience can be satisfactory. But right now it's painful.