DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

Dennis dkorpel at gmail.com
Tue Dec 3 14:53:17 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 12:24:09 UTC, John Colvin wrote:
> Is there much point being almost context-free? Seems like we
> should know for sure whether there are any other parts of the
> grammar that are context dependent before we use it as
> motivation. The DIP is somewhat vague about whether this has
> been properly established

I _think_ this is the only thing in the lexical grammar that is
not context-free but I haven't verified this so I am
intentionally a bit vague about that.
This DIP is obviously necessary for being context-free, but not
sufficient per se.

I can spend some time on this if it helps, but didn't want to put
too much time into this before the first review in case it got
shut down immediately. (And considering Andrei's post, it is at
risk of that.)