DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

Jonathan M Davis newsgroup.d at jmdavisprog.com
Tue Dec 3 15:05:14 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, December 3, 2019 2:03:44 AM MST Mike Parker via Digitalmars-d
wrote:
> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
> Review for DIP 1026, "Deprecate Context-Sensitive String
> Literals":
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/a7199bcec2ca39b74739b165fc7b97afff9e29d
> 1/DIPs/DIP1026.md
>
> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP should
> occur in this thread. The review period will end at 11:59 PM ET
> on December 17, or when I make a post declaring it complete.
>
> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary, the
> DIP will be scheduled for another round of Community Review.
> Otherwise, it will be queued for the Final Review and Formal
> Assessment.
>
> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected to
> be familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>
> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>
> *Please stay on topic!*
>
> Thanks in advance to all who participate.

There are definitely people who use token strings in their code when writing
string mixins, because it makes it so that the code in the strings actually
gets syntax highlighting like normal code does instead of being displayed as
a string. I expect that a number of people would be quite unhappy to not be
able to do that anymore.

Personally, I never use token strings, and I'm not sure that I'd even know
about them if I hadn't worked on a D lexer several years ago. I also prefer
that strings look like strings even if they contain code, but I don't care
enough about that to try to get the feature removed, and I'm not sure that I
care much whether the DIP is accepted or not. However, there's no question
that some people think that they're very valuable when writing string
mixins.

- Jonathan M Davis