DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Dec 4 00:22:56 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 09:38:28PM +0000, Elronnd via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 20:53:07 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
[...]
> > IOW, implementators aren't competent enough to implement something
> > up to spec, therefore we should dumb down the spec for their sake?
> > Sounds like a backwards reason for doing something.
>
> The easier the language is to implement, the more implementors there
> will be.  If there are compelling reasons to include a language
> feature, and it makes implementation more difficult, it should be
> included regardless.  But that doesn't mean that ease of
> implementation should be completely ignored when considering language
> features.

This is a valid consideration *before* the language is implemented. The
current situation is:

1) Heredocs are *already* implemented, have been for a long time, and
working very well, except with the wrinkle of some poor syntax
highlighter implementations that fail to parse them correctly.

2) Parsing heredocs is actually not *that* hard, as proven by already
(at least) two examples given in this very thread of syntax highlighting
code that actually parses them correctly. We aren't talking about
solving NP complete problems here, that might be considered reasonable
cause for simplifying something.

It does not take a day's work to write a parser that understands
heredocs, and we're debating about implementation *difficulty*? Whoa.

My program has no bugs! Only undocumented features...