DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

H. S. Teoh hsteoh at quickfur.ath.cx
Wed Dec 4 00:25:17 UTC 2019

On Tue, Dec 03, 2019 at 09:35:42PM +0000, Elronnd via Digitalmars-d wrote:
> On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 21:20:57 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> > The problem is that token strings require the contents to be *D
> > tokens*.  So if I need to emit snippets of another language, I'm out
> > of luck, and have to resort to quoted strings and Leaning Toothpick
> > Syndrome.
>
> Bracket-delimited string (q"[text]", allowing <>, [], (), and {} as
> delimiters) are still allowed and do not need to contain valid tokens.

They still need to nest properly, though.  Generating BF snippets, for
example, wouldn't work.

English has the lovely word "defenestrate", meaning "to execute by throwing someone out a window", or more recently "to remove Windows from a computer and replace it with something useful". :-) -- John Cowan