DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

Adam D. Ruppe destructionator at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 03:27:02 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 4 December 2019 at 01:26:24 UTC, H. S. Teoh wrote:
> UTF-16 is  <snip>

VERY useful and helps make D on Windows feel first class, so it
is easy to do things right.

utf-32 doesn't matter, but "string"w is very, very nice for
working with Windows, .net, java, etc. easily, efficiently, and
correctly.

> That DIP seems dead in the water though. The author has
> vanished and nobody has taken up the reins.

The string interpolation thing is cool, I wrote up my proposal,
I'm just not likely to bother with the burden of DIP bureaucracy.
Even javascript has some stuff that beats us now.

> As I said, I don't use a syntax highlighter.  Also, any attempt
> to highlight is moot if the string contains code of a different
> language (see below for my use cases).

And I use the heredoc strings BECAUSE of how well they can be
highlighted - again my vim happens to treat q"html and q"sql and
q"css and others specially knowing they are embedded.

I could do that with something like css!" " too - a template
instead and the type information could even be improved but still
the heredoc is kinda cool for syntax highlighting.

BTW if heredoc strings were to be removed.... tbh I can live with
it. It bugs me that they must end at the beginning of a line. I
wish it would let you indent it. Seriously bugs me and is a
reason why I don't use them more.

but still since they are there i use them.