DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

FeepingCreature feepingcreature at gmail.com
Wed Dec 4 09:02:32 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 3 December 2019 at 23:35:21 UTC, mipri wrote:
> 2. D's problem is "too many features" -> let's remove any
> feature that we can -> this DIP as step #1, remove something
> that looks relatively easy to remove.
>
> How much agreement do you think there is on the first point?
>
> Consider the "remove ~= from arrays" DIP. It removed a
> feature, and removing the feature arguably materially improved
> D's options to evolve as a language, and it got a really
> incensed negative response.

I think this is a really questionable argument, because it
implicitly presumes that all features are worth the same. The
"remove ~= from arrays" DIP got, as far as I could see, basically
no feedback along the lines of "whatever, we use it but we could
replace it easily" or "I think D doesn't need to reduce its
feature set in general." The feedback it got was, as far as I
could tell, overwhelmingly "this feature is a core component of
the usefulness of the D language and definitely the *wrong place*
to start removing things."

Logically speaking, the more people think it is the wrong place
to start removing features, the less that debate says about
removing features as a whole, because people were more motivated
by the specific feature rather than the general state of the
language.