DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 4 22:37:24 UTC 2019

On 12/3/2019 2:11 PM, Dennis wrote:
> Why is it a bad DIP?

I think Andrei covered that fairly well.

> What criteria should a language feature have to be
> candidate for removal,

This would be a good opening for a separate thread.

> and why don't context-sensitive string literals fit those
> criteria?

The only real cost identified is poor support for syntax highlighting in some
text editors. On the other hand, heredocs are a common language feature, and
other methods of doing it are so clumsy people rarely have the stomach to do it.