DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 18:23:10 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 5 December 2019 at 18:07:08 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> If those other literals are bad. For python it's the opposite:
> given triple quoted strings people can't stand delimited
> strings and use triple quoted strings predominantly instead of
> delimited strings, see it in action:
> https://github.com/django/django/blob/master/django/core/signing.py - it's the first random python code I found on github.

Yes, that usage you link to was for docs-strings though (more
like comments), but I use Python triple quoted strings all the
time. I have never really run into a situation where there was a
clash with """, actually. Looks like a too simple solution, but
works very well in practice.

Another point is that here-documents may be important in
WebAssembly for embedding "files".