DIP 1026---Deprecate Context-Sensitive String Literals---Community Review Round 1

Ola Fosheim Grøstad ola.fosheim.grostad at gmail.com
Thu Dec 5 18:37:19 UTC 2019

On Thursday, 5 December 2019 at 18:34:12 UTC, Kagamin wrote:
> On Thursday, 5 December 2019 at 18:23:10 UTC, Ola Fosheim
> Grøstad wrote:
>> Another point is that here-documents may be important in
>> WebAssembly for embedding "files".
>
> D can embed files with import expression
> https://dlang.org/spec/expression.html#import_expressions

That is a nice alternative for long text, but when building
websites you often deal with many shorter blocks of text.

Anyway. Although I prefer """ as it is visually cleaner, C++
actually has something similar to D:

const char* s1 = R"foo(
Hello
World
)foo";

https://en.cppreference.com/w/cpp/language/string_literal

So, highlighters need to support that if they want to support
C++...