How do people feel about putting source compiler directives inside rdmd?

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Fri Dec 6 07:47:33 UTC 2019

On Friday, 6 December 2019 at 06:45:58 UTC, mipri wrote:
> On Friday, 6 December 2019 at 06:14:38 UTC, mipri wrote:
>> On Friday, 6 December 2019 at 05:50:38 UTC, Andre Pany wrote:
>>> Here the fix which avoids the rebuild of Single file packages
>>> https://github.com/dlang/dub/pull/1811
>>
>> Nice work!
>>
>> running a script with a single dependency, average of 3 runs.
>>
>> currently:
>>
>> Time           : 4224 ms (1408.000 ms/per)
>> Max RSS        : 313.6 MB
>>
>> and with your pull request:
>>
>> Time           : 398 ms (132.667 ms/per)
>> Max RSS        : 29.0 MB
>
> Although...
>
> Time           : 24 ms (8.000 ms/per)
> Max RSS        : 5.0 MB
>
> This is the time I get from directly calling the binary that
> dub leaves under /tmp
>
> So that's still quite a lot of overhead.
>
>>> Dub is a very good piece of software and issues can in most
>>> cases easily be fixed.
>>>
>>> Kind regards
>>> Andre

What is the overhead of dub, if you do not count the first run?
(the first run compiles the script to an executable, each sub
subsequent
run from now on just calls the executable)

Did you compile dub using dmd or ldc? Performance of LDC with
optimizations
on is a lot better than debug builds of dmd.

Kind regards
André