Microsoft Project: Verona

Paulo Pinto pjmlp at progtools.org
Mon Dec 9 07:22:21 UTC 2019

On Sunday, 8 December 2019 at 22:50:39 UTC, IGotD- wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 December 2019 at 12:57:27 UTC, Paulo Pinto wrote:
>>
>> I imagine that was indeed the case, if you look between the
>> lines from Joe Duffy's presentations on Midori.
>>
>> https://www.infoq.com/presentations/csharp-systems-programming/
>>
>> https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVm938gMWl0
>>
>> At the end of his Rust keynote, he mentions that even after
>> being showed how well it worked, Windows Dev team was quite
>> sceptical of it.
>>

> You don't need to read between the lines for that, as he
> explained it explicitly. Their attempt with Rust was a long
> term success but the developers weren't particularly keen on
> Rust. The developers felt that they were battling the compiler
> and simple stuff fast was difficult.
>
> Actually, programming C++ is really dirt simple if you stick
> normal object oriented class like programming. It's when you
> start to dig into templates and ugly libraries C++ starts to
> become difficult. For simple programming Rust is more difficult
> than C++ as there is a bigger design burden on the programmer.
> The programming constantly have to think about various corner
> cases that occur often. Just thinking about there are three
> types of closures for example (D has one). Rust is full of
> these special cases which is starting to become hard to
> remember and are experienced as annoying. It just deteriorates
> the programmer experience.
>
> What Verona can do better is to clean up all these families of
> different special types and corner cases to relieve the
> pressure from the programmer.

Rust?

Midori used System C# also known as M#, which has a tracing GC,
with support for value types, low level allocation, basically
similar to D capabilities.

Even though it failed to impress Windows team, at least we got
some of those features in C# 7.x, 8 and a couple more might land
on 9.

Oh and the .NET Native native experiment (to be merged into main
.NET as per .NET 5 roadmap).

However, most of this stuff is far from what Midori was trying to
achieve.

I already mentioned in multiple replies that MS is already using
Rust in production.