How do people feel about putting source compiler directives inside rdmd?

bachmeier no at spam.net
Mon Dec 9 14:02:31 UTC 2019

On Monday, 9 December 2019 at 12:19:31 UTC, wjoe wrote:

>> I don't find it convincing to see use cases that are already
>> done with other tools.
>
> So you're saying that ldc and gdc are duplicated and hence
> wasted effort ?
>
> In my mind having options and alternatives is as good a thing
> as diversity can be.

ldc and gdc aren't really good examples, because those projects
are separate from dmd. Their existence doesn't break dmd.

"More options" is a wonderful idea if you can make those changes
*and* someone will fix the bugs and handle additional maintenance
issues that arise as a result of the changes that were made. It's
not a wonderful idea based on the historical record of this
community. We'll end up with something that's sort of usable and
gives new users yet another reason to stay away.

But as I already said, I'm not the one you have to convince. I'm
just a user of the language that prefers unbroken tools.