DIP 1024---Shared Atomics---Final Review

Simen Kjærås simen.kjaras at gmail.com
Tue Dec 10 15:26:02 UTC 2019

On Tuesday, 10 December 2019 at 12:16:29 UTC, RazvanN wrote:
> On Sunday, 8 December 2019 at 16:25:21 UTC, Mike Parker wrote:
>
> I think that it should be stated somewhere that the DIP makes
> shared unusable in betterC code.

There's nothing stopping you from implementing your own
primitives for manipulating shared data in betterC - core.atomic
is only mentioned because it's the standard library way to do it.

It seems unlikely that core.atomic uses the features that betterC
disables, and where it does a betterC version should be
relatively easy to write. I expect this will be on dub within a
week of this being implemented, and if it isn't you can just copy
the parts you need from core.atomic.

In short, using shared in betterC may be harder, but it's far
from unusable.

--
   Simen