DIP 1024---Shared Atomics---Final Review

Walter Bright newshound2 at digitalmars.com
Wed Dec 11 09:29:08 UTC 2019

On 12/10/2019 7:55 AM, IGotD- wrote:
> This is a problem with that OS dependent libraries aren't separated from OS
> independent libraries. In the future the atomic library should be in an OS
> independent part of the core library while those that depends on an underlying
> OS should be in their own. In all we need a finer granularity of the standard
> library depending on what the library depends on. Future DIP needed for this.

The idea of betterC is to not rely on ANY D libraries. As soon as we say "to use
betterC you'll need to download and install these D libraries" it's dead in the
water.

If you use shared language operators in betterC you're just as hosed as using
them in D. You'll need library code to do it, and you can use any C library that
offers atomic ops to do it.