DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Community Review Round 1

Andre Pany andre at s-e-a-p.de
Wed Dec 11 12:31:28 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 11 December 2019 at 11:45:07 UTC, Andrea Fontana
wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 December 2019 at 09:52:21 UTC, Mike Parker
> wrote:
>> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
>> Review for DIP 1027, "String Interpolation":
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/148001a963f5d6e090bb6beef5caf9854372d0bc/DIPs/DIP1027.md
>>
>> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP
>> should occur in this thread. The review period will end at
>> 11:59 PM ET on December 25, or when I make a post declaring it
>> complete.
>>
>> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary,
>> the DIP will be scheduled for another round of Community
>> Review. Otherwise, it will be queued for the Final Review and
>> Formal Assessment.
>>
>> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected
>> to be familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>>
>> *Please stay on topic!*
>>
>> Thanks in advance to all who participate.
>
> Nice but it sounds a bit "hacky" to me.
>
> If i'm right this code will output "Hello %textworld123"
>
> string text = "world";
> text(i"Hello %text", "123");
>
> I hoped it was expanded to a function call rather than to a
> tuple...
>

> Andrea

If my understanding is right, string assignment is not supported
by the dip, only the 2 functions writeln/printf.
Which would be a quite big limitation. This would only cover 20%
of my use case
of string interpolation.
Is my understanding correct?

Kind regards