DIP 1027---String Interpolation---Community Review Round 1

Alexandru Ermicioi alexandru.ermicioi at gmail.com
Wed Dec 11 14:44:41 UTC 2019

On Wednesday, 11 December 2019 at 12:50:34 UTC, Ernesto
Castellotti wrote:
> On Wednesday, 11 December 2019 at 09:52:21 UTC, Mike Parker
> wrote:
>> This is the feedback thread for the first round of Community
>> Review for DIP 1027, "String Interpolation":
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/148001a963f5d6e090bb6beef5caf9854372d0bc/DIPs/DIP1027.md
>>
>> All review-related feedback on and discussion of the DIP
>> should occur in this thread. The review period will end at
>> 11:59 PM ET on December 25, or when I make a post declaring it
>> complete.
>>
>> At the end of Round 1, if further review is deemed necessary,
>> the DIP will be scheduled for another round of Community
>> Review. Otherwise, it will be queued for the Final Review and
>> Formal Assessment.
>>
>> Anyone intending to post feedback in this thread is expected
>> to be familiar with the reviewer guidelines:
>>
>> https://github.com/dlang/DIPs/blob/master/docs/guidelines-reviewers.md
>>
>> *Please stay on topic!*
>>
>> Thanks in advance to all who participate.
>
> From the dip it seems that it is only valid for writefln & co
> So a code like:
>    auto myText = i"I ate% apples"
> would not be valid.
>
> Correct me if I'm wrong but from my point of view this "String
> interpolation" is completely useless.
> I wish D had a string interpolation like Kotlin

this code should be valid although it wont be a string but a
tuple of string & args ready for printing by stdio family of
printer functions.

Current implementation also requires that a function call to be
used to get a string, which defies the entire purpose of
interpolated strings.

It either should be a simple tuple as suggested above (then i
could live with additional func call to get resulting string), or
return an interpolated string ready to be used (no additional
function call).

Best regards,
Alexandru.